Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Let's Talk about Running Babyyyy (Salt-N-Pepa Style)

I really don't know why I feel the need to sing my blog titles. Although, I have been known to sing things to people (okay family) randomly, so it would probably seem completely normal to them.

At least you can't hear it.

So back to "running." Ugh running. Errrr running. I have such a love/hate relationship with it. I love the thought of running, I hate when I'm actually running, and I love when I'm done running. Got it?


Okay, to break it down better... I've made running goals a million times. Run a 5K, Run a 10K, Run a Half Marathon, and I never freakin stick to it! Okay, I ran a 5K a couple times way after the planned day and I completed the USMC Mud Run (6 miles plus a zillion, yes a zillion obstacles). I just feel like I'm so bad at meeting goals that I set and that frustrates the crap out of me! I always give up, its a vicious cycle!

Also, running is HARD for me. Like really, really hard. My brain is all for it for like 1/2 a mile and then its constantly telling me I can't do it, its too hard, you have to stop. I'm constantly fighting that voice and that makes it even harder.


I feel like running just one mile is still hard and I've run a mile and half to two and half miles multiple times since I started back a few weeks ago. I feel like I should be progressing, I should be faster, this should be easier, and then I'm like...


I've only been really back to running for a FEW weeks. A couple years ago I couldn't run for a minute without being out of breath and feeling like I was going to pass out. I broke my ankle five years ago and I am blessed that I can even run at all. I have run 3 miles without stopping. I've run/walked/hobbled/climbed/jumped/crawled/swam six miles for the mud run without giving up. I've accomplished a ton. Oh and hey I might have lost like 85 pounds along the way. No biggie!


There's literally no way I'm not running this Half Marathon in October. I don't know how fast I'll go. I can't promise there won't be a few walk breaks in there. It will be completed by me, though. I want to do it for my  family and friends who support me, for the 5 people who read this blog, and of course for MYSELF!


XOXO
Mandy - The Running Herbivore

4 comments:

  1. You are well on your way!! So proud of you - don't give up, I promise it will get better!!

    BTW - love the picture commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just keep reminding me of that!

      Delete
  2. sounds like you are doing everything right!! and in terms of your progress, you're ahead of the game!! congrats on those 85 lbs!! you have so much to be proud of yourself for, rather than kicking yourself for not staying on your goal sometimes. also- i can barely run 3 miles. and i hear other bloggers talk about "oh it takes me 3-4 miles just to warm up" and im like "uhhh maybe thats my problem... i think im not in shape but maybe im just not warmed up yet..." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I try to think about how far I've come, but sometimes my brain doesn't play that way!

      The day 3 miles is a warm up for me is the day I know my body has been taken over by extraterrestrials!

      Delete